Pages

Monday, March 28, 2011

I don't get it!

By Sandy

Yes today is weigh day and usually I am happy...

I stayed on my program last week really good.  I turned down milkshakes (even though I really wanted them).  I ate lots of fruits and vegetables.  I ate salads.  I walked 5 out of the 7 days last week.  I did everything right.  I JUMPED out of bed this morning and RAN to the scale.  I couldn't WAIT to weigh.

I gained all of it back.  I am the same weight I was 3 weeks ago.  I lost 4 pounds and gained it all back in 3 weeks and last week was my best week to date.  I don't get it.  Normally I do really good on this kind of program.  Normally I can lose weight.  If I exercise I will lose - if I turn down the stuff I really want I will lose.  But this time - nada.  I not only can't add to my weight loss - but I gained it all back.

Now, I considered very hard in the shower this morning, not telling you.  I thought about just forgetting to post.  Or fudging and telling you that I maintained.  But who is that helping?  I know that you have had times like this when you thought you were doing really good and you got on that scale and were disappointed.  Maybe it wasn't exactly like my experience today, but we have all been upset when we stepped on the bathroom scale.  I know that my body is loving the exercise, because my panties fit better.  I know that I am doing good for my body because my girdle doesn't pinch and make me feel like a stuff sausage.  I know that I am making progress because I can actually tolerate my bra until the end of the day.  So I am going to continue to forge ahead with my program.

I am older than most readers.  I am 44.  So I know that the older we are, our bodies change and losing weight isn't as easy as it once was.  And if I didn't have this blog, I would be tempted to go to McDonalds this morning and say "screw it".  But the fact of the matter is, I promised Mandy that I would do this with her.  And I promised all of you.  And that makes me feel obligated to continue - this is a good thing.  Just by following this blog, you are making me stick to my own program.  Just by being there you are helping me.  So, even if I have to post every Monday a gain, or a maintain, I will continue.  I am hoping this is just bloating or water weight and by exercising and continue to stay on my program I will straighten my body back out.  Leave me some love...I need it today!!

7 comments:

  1. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm 31, i'm a mother to a gorgeous 20 month old baby who is the centre of my world. I'm a wife and a nurse. Unfortunately I'm not a good juggler...so one thing had to give.. and that thing was me. During my years at nursing school I lost 150lbs, taking me from a size 24 to an 8...I'd achieved what I'd set out to do...I was skinny. My prayers were answered and I was finally happy..right? Except I wasn't . The self loathing that plagued me when I was big, was still there when I wasn't and when my father died suddenly 5 years ago the weight piled back on. So what's the answer? Well as someone who continues to struggle with her eating, I can tell you that from personal experience, a simple desire to loose weight isn't enough. Weightloss is about lifestyle change. You will never reach your goal and maintain unless the reasons behind your excessive eating and bad choices is not delt with first. From what I have read of your blog you both seem to have the desire but you need to have the BELIEF that you WILL succeed . Without meaning to sound like a low grade motivational speaker, you have to tell yourself that it's YOU that holds the power to make good choices and therefore to succeed in your quest. I have the tendency to babble so I'm just going to shut up now. But keep going...dust yourself down, pick yourself up up carry on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, i know you feel discouraged but don't. it could all be water weight or who knows what. At any given time we can fluctuate 2-4 lbs in fluids. if you feel better and look better then you know its working. I swear our bodies try to trick us. Don't let it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandy, I have noticed that this last year has been harder than ever before for me to lose weight. I am 43, and I think it has a lot to do with age, body changes, etc. I realize that at my age, having given birth to 3 kids, I am never going to be a size 3. I think the last time I was a that size was in 3rd grade! LOL I've always struggled.

    I think sometimes, in the same way that our weight gain creeps up on us over time - so does our weight loss. I've noticed that there are weeks where I was religiously good with my eating, and the scale does not budge. (maybe backlash from the previous week that was not so good???) and then I may splurge more one week and see a loss. I don't get it. I just don't get it at all. Don't be discouraged. All that good that you did this last week will pay off and will catch up with you with a lower number on the scale. It's soooooo freakin frustrating, but we have to be patient (now if I can just convince myself! LOL). Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't lose hope! You are gaining muscle which weighs more than fat! I think this throws a lot of people off their diets. But this is a good thing! That muscle gain is going to help you lose more fat. You'll find this "weight gain" happens from time to time, but don't worry!

    Also, the salads... yeah. Um, may not be the best way to go about dieting. People always think that salads are what you should eat when you are trying to lose weight, but in reality, it doesn't really work that way. Try this little experiment: go to a restaurant that lists calories on their menu, say Chili's. Have a gander at how many calories are in their salads. They are often the same as a burger! In particular, the dressings will get you every time, but sometimes its the other stuff in there.

    I highly recommend getting Dara Torres' book "Gold Medal Fitness." It's inspiring for anyone over 35 and trying to get in shape. It has great exercises and a diet plan!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy my darling, I'm so proud of you.
    I've had my fair share of not so happy weigh days. But it really does help to realize that the body isn't fully understood and sometimes numbers can rise or fall for various reasons.

    You...and your success...are not your number.
    We're going across the miles and pounds bb.
    Remember that.

    You followed your diet....your clothes feel more comfortable. That means you're doing something right!

    Last year when i was attempting to lose weight...I was eating so well, and exercising 3 times a week with my personal trainer. After three weeks I came to him and asked him why I wasn't losing. He said that sometimes it takes time to get your metabolism moving in the right direction. I didn't really start losing for almost a month.

    You can do this bb. You are doing this. Don't let the number on the scale dictate your success. <3

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad that your sticking to your program even after one bad day.I know there have been times for me that I have stepped on the scale and almost cried because of what I have seen there, but like you said if your clothing is fitting better you must be doing something right. Don't give up just because of one bad week. You have people who believe in you and that's one of the few things you need to get you through.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ok. I'm 52. I started my self improvement program back in the fall. And the first thing I did was quit smoking. Yay me, I know. At the first of the year, I started my improved eating/more exercise goals. My son is being married in June and I am not gonna be the Pillsbury Dough Mother of the Groom!!! All was rocking along well. I lost 6 pounds. Then in 4 weeks I gained 20. I was crushed. I wasn't sleeping. I was stiff and puffy and looked bad.

    I went to my doctor. After blood work and all of that stuff, I am being treated for an underactive thyroid. Medications are still being adjusted, but I do feel better. Not near all the way back, but my energy is coming back and I know it wasn't all failure on my part. That sure helps the mental attitude.

    Go to your doctor. Be open and honest. You can do it. And so can I.

    ReplyDelete